Monday, April 6, 2009

The Shack

I have been told by at least three people about this book. I try not to run out and get a book if someone suggest it. But this book has been brought up in at least three different conversations. One of the persons who told me about this book, was my dad. And when he told me, he was crying. So, on Sunday while at Kmart, I spotted the book and purchased it. I have not been able to put it down. I had to make myself put it down to do some chores. But, I think I will have to pick it up later after Jeff goes to work.

I will not tell you about the book, I am only on chapter three and it seems to be a very long chapter. But, I will tell you what my dad said and why this sparked some interest in me. My dad, who I have to admit, I am not sure I really know. As I am typing this, I could not tell you where his faith lies or the relationship he has with God. I can tell you that he is a soft spoken individual, who I know loves me a bunch. He loves my sister also, but that is a different kind of relationship. Dad told me that after he read the book, he realized that God gives us free will, and he will not get involved with us. God loves us and he created each one of us for the purpose of doing his will, but if we choose not to do that, God is not going to get involved or make us do His will. Dad said that he had such a different view of God after he read the book. It really openned his eyes and his relationships with others.

This is what I need. I know God does not leave me, but I think it is really easy for me to walk away from Him. I will have to tell you, right now the book is effecting the mother in me. It is really raising all kinds of fears, but I know that in the end I am going to be different than I was when I started the book. I believe this is going to be some journey. I still am going to finish "Bad Girls of the Bible", but right now I am on a detour. I will let you know more about that book, when I pick it up again. God bless all of you and have a awesome day. Love Tanya

6 comments:

Susan said...

wow sounds like an exciting book.
Susan

Just Be Real said...

I saw the author on Life Today with James and Betty Robinson a few months ago. Also my t. has suggested I read it too. I guess God is telling me something! Tanya, glad the book is effecting you in a positive way. Blessings!

Deborah said...

My Dad called me on Saturday just to tell me about this book, so I asked my husband to pick it up for me later that day. I'm not sure what to say about it. There are some glaring errors of doctrine that you have to get past as you read it, but it has some wonderful symbolism. It does a good job of explaining why God doesn't intervene and stop evil. It also deals with our need to forgive. I think if you have a sound basis, and don't get confused by the false doctrines, you can take something good from the book...just be sure to check the things that don't line up with scripture, and take it for what it is...a novel, not the gospel.

Tanya Ross said...

Susan, so far it is a good book.

Just be real, I would check it out. But like Deborah has said is true. You do need sound doctrine to really get into it. I believe that goes for all the books and movies that come out. The important part as a christian is to let the word of God be the ultimate authority in our lives. It does explain somethings that make sense to me. I am not sure of other things.

Deb, thanks for your input and accountability. Keeping each other sharp is important. Love all of you and I hope you have a wonderful day. Tanya

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I,too, have heard several people ...Christians....who really liked the book. A friend offered it to me to borrow. I took it home and read the first chapter or two but just could not deal with some things that seemed blasphemous to me. I'm not sure why the author decided to make the God figure in this book a woman. I can't explain all my feelings but it just wasn't for me.

Marilyn

Nana C said...

I have almost picked this book up Tanya, but have been studying in the word the Book of Daniel, and reading this book of Daniel at this Easter time of year is very wonderful in the plans God has for us. I will read the Shack book this summer. thank you so much Nana C