Friday, February 6, 2009

tongues vs. Prophecy

A while back our family attended a church that promoted the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. Through this baptism you would receive tongues and other gifts from the bible. I walked up to the alter the first Sunday that I was there to receive the gift and walked away not speaking in tongues, but having a better understanding of the scriptures. It was really awesome, and later I did receive tongues. I have lately been thinking about this gift that was so important to this church, but not with other churches that I had attended. Then I stumbled upon this website, The author Brandon talked about how Prophecy was more important than tongues. So I looked it up and here is a scripture from Paul that I found.

"Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. For he that speak in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understand him: howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. But he that prophesieth speak unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifies himself; but he that prophesieth edificeth the church."
1 Corinthians 14:1-4

From this passage, speaking in tongues only edifies God and I. It does not edify the church. Paul talks later on in this passage about edification of the church. I believe this should be the focus of the congregation as a whole. We need to be edify our churches and not worried about speaking in tongues. There are wonderful churches out there that are falling to the world, because the church is so worried about speaking in tongues or other gifts and not focused on what God wants for that church or that warnings are not being corrected. If you look at the old testament, the whole last part of the book is minor and major prophets warning the children of Israel to repent and turn back to God. Now, if this was not important to God, why would He have it placed in His Holy Word. I believe our focus should be about praying and being used as prophets. And I know the word talks about women being quiet in the church, but I believe that God will use you. You can tell your husband what God has shown you, or I believe that you can contact your minister and discuss it with Him. Just really pray on this, I know God has plans for all of us. Love Tanya

>


5 comments:

Susan said...

Great post. God is really showing you many truths. Thank you for sharing. through this you bless others.
Susan

Anonymous said...

I think there is a lot of confusion about "Gifts" and many about "Tongues". Often this is due to not understanding "where" they apply.

For example, Tongues are both for prayer between God and you, it is to allow your spirit to pray to God without us getting in the way, to build ourself up. Then there is a "Message" in tongues which is for the corporate body, the church or assembly you happen to be in. This message can edify the body "as long as" there is interpretation of the message, otherwise it will have no meaning. It is basically like two gifts in one, one of the corporate body and one for just ourselves.

Here is a bigger one though. All believers have all Gifts in them as they flow from the Holy Spirit that dwells in us the minute we are born again. It is to what we will yield ourselves though, God does not force you to move in the Gifts, we must be yielded. Of course, not everyone will opperate in the same Gifts in a corporate meeting. The Holy Spirit will move upon some for one thing and another person for another thing and as long as we are yielded to Him, the service will flow.

The key is that we are yielded vessles that are not filled with the things of this world. Katherine Kulman once said something I completely believe, "God does not want silver or gold vessles, He wants yielded vessles".

Tanya Ross said...

Good point. I never heard it explained so well. I guess like you said, it is us yeilding to the spirit. That makes me think more. Thank you believer.

Nana C said...

Yes, having prayer with God is our yielding to him, if you ask God to speak to you, he will, in his way for you. How you pray to him is most personal, sometimes in a tongue that is his for you and him to commune together, which can come forward quickly and be gone as quickly. This was a good post. Thank you Tanya, it is good to hold each other up in prayer. Love Nana C

Anonymous said...

Tanya, thank you for sharing this! I too pray in tongues. Most of the time is when I just do not know what to say and my spirit is hurting so bad, I just go to speaking in the spirit. Even though I do not know what I am saying to God, I know He hears, and I feel a release in my spirit afterwards. Blessings.