Sunday, February 8, 2009

Personal Convictions

Lately, I have been pondering the word or action of conviction. What is conviction, and how does it relate to the word? And with that conviction do I have the right to force it upon others or is it just for me? So, I looked up the word conviction in the 1952 "New Century Dictionary."

Conviction:
1. The act of convicting, as before a legal tribunal, or the fact or state of being convicted.

2. The act of convincing, or bringing to a recognition of the truth of a thing, or the state of being convinced; settled persuasion, a fixed or firm belief.

3. The fact of being convicted or convinced of wrong doing or sin; religious compunction.


First of all, I would like to high light on fixed or firm belief from the above definition. My fixed or firm belief comes directly from the word of God. I believe that the word is true and living. Every part of the bible is true.


"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."
1 Timothy 3:16


"Jesus answered and said unto them, ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God." Matthew 22:29


Everyday I sit down to read my bible, as I do the Holy Spirit brings thing to my mind. Sometimes it is directly from the word. An example would be to respect my husband.


"Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband." Ephesians 5:33


This is truth from the word of God. Therefore, I need to ask the Holy Spirit to convict me, to change me in this area. But there are some convictions that are not biblical and yet I feel the Holy Spirit prompting me to change. I believe this would be a personal conviction. For example; the bible does not talk about the different translations of the word. I am purely going on the Revelation verse.



"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, if any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book. And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophesy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book." Revelation 22:18-19


Personally, I am a King James Version kind of gal. Why, you may ask, my husband stands firm on it and I started doing my own research and found it to be more accurate. Now I will tell you, I do not try to force this down other people's throats. If someone asks me, I will talk to them and show them my conversion chart. But, I will not force this upon others. My husband showed me facts and reason, but he still let me read my NIV. I came to the conclusion through conviction of the Holy Spirit.


Look if I made a big deal about what translation you were reading, would I be furthering God's Kingdom? Nothing hurts my heart more than two Christians fighting over personal conviction or just the word of God, period. Is it biblical, no. Did you bring the lost to God through that fight? No. In fact now you may have more people not interested in being a christian.


Lets face it, if you were a lost person, would you be interested in being a christian if you had to cut your hair, or not cut your hair. Not able to wear make up, wear dresses all the time, no jewelry, can not listen to certain music, can not eat certain foods, read only the KJV, NIV etc, or have to let go of all your friends and family.


These are personal convictions, some yes are in the bible, some are not. I believe that it boils down to this, read the word, pray and let the Holy Spirit work in you and me. We can not shove personal convictions on others. I will share it with others, but I do not believe that it is for others. And if another is touched by what I said, then praise God. But, I need not shove it down on others. They will have personal convictions of their own.


>

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Amen! So true...besides you can talk till you're blue in the face...unless the Lord is doing the work, it's pointless.

On a side note....My one brother threw away his NIV after trying to witness to my other brother who is a JW. He found that the NIV was so close to the new world version that it was useless in trying to show the truth to our brother.

Nana C said...

The King James Version , written in 1611 is still beautiful today. I used it tonight to put scripture on my blog. I often go to it, over other versions, and I do agree Tanya, personal convictions must stand true.
Nana C

Susan said...

I love what you said about pushing your convictions on others. i was always bothered when my husband would not tell others what we believe. He said our personnel convctions are one's that the Lord placed on our hearts and if someone asks I will tell them. I know understand from many years of my thinking that my convictions had to be everybody else's. Great post.