Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Recipes for Life

Last September we were moving Jeff's aunt Barb to the nursing home. Well, recently she has passed and gone to be with Jesus. So, I was going through some items and I found this cook book from Union Carbide 1971. Union Carbide eventually became EverReady Battery Company. It is now closed and even the building is torn down. So, I was going through this cook book and in the back of it was a section call Recipes for Life. I started to go through the little recipes and realized that they were little poems with a recipe kind of twist. I would like to share some of them with you.

"Lost, A Word"
I Lost a cross word yesterday
Unguarded from my tongue.
It slipped into the atmosphere
Then Trouble had began.

A dozen others followed it
They filed the room with grief.
No matter then what word was said
It could not bring relief.

If I had only stopped that word
before it crossed my lips.
My day had been a happy one
and sweet with fellowship.

I think I wasted yesterday
hurt self as well as friend.
Today I want to watch my words
and let not one offend.

"Happiness Cake"
1lb. Kindness
1/4 lb. Charity
1 cup Helping Others
3 cups Good Humor
1/2 cups Thoughtfulness
3 cups Laughter
dash of Peppiness
large portion of Love

Mix well and swerve at all time
by, Ruth Speed

There were many more, but those two really hit me. I loved all of them and we should bake happiness and joy into our lives and our families. Before I go, I would like to post a couple of things that I am grateful for. I am grateful for God, with out Him, I would be nothing. I am grateful for Jeff, he keeps me in line and shows me love. I am grateful for Luke and Melanie, they give me reasons to be joyful everyday and to laugh. I am grateful to laugh and smile, it brings such excitement into my life and most of all, I am grateful for me. I am so glad that God pursued me and made me who I am today. Love all of you and have a great spring!!!!!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Love those recipes for life. A lost word is so true. one I think I need to have posted around my house as a daily reminder.

Nana C said...

these two were great recipes, loved the Peppiness!!!!! We all do so often forget to be grateful...thank you Lord....nana C