Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Baloney Sandwich




"Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be pare takers of the divine nature." 2 Peter 1:4a

I have been wondering lately where I need to go? What is my purpose, what do I do? I have prayed and lifted it to God "Show me your way oh Lord."
So, today I was at the center and I was going through my training manual when I stumbled upon this in the front of my notebook. It is a story written by Bob Benson called, "A Baloney Sandwich"

Bob starts talking about being invited to a church picnic where everyone brings their own food. The church provides the drinks. He would procrastinate and get home to fine one wrinkled baloney slice, two crusty pieces of bread and a little dab of mustard left.

He makes his sandwich places it in a brown paper bag and heads to the picnic, when he gets there he ends up sitting with the family who made all of this food. Fried chicken, potato salad, baked beans, homemade buns and two chocolate cream pies. As he sits there looking at his crusty baloney sandwich, he hears the women say "why don't we just put it all together?"

"No, I could not do that," He replies.
Where she returns with an instanced "nonsense" and puts all the food together before he could protest further. After grace they all started munch in down on the abundance set before them. Even the crusty old sandwich.

I know what you are thinking right at this moment, why would Tanya blog about a crusty old baloney sandwich? Here is why, after the story Bod shares an epiphany:
"One day, it dawned on me that God had been saying that sort of thing to me. "Why don't you take what you have and what you are, and I will take what I have and what I am, and we'll share it together." I began to see that when I put what I had and was and am and hope to be with what He is, I had stumbled upon the bargain of a lifetime."

I get to thinking sometimes, thinking of me sharing with God. When I think of how little I bring, and how much He brings and invites me to share, I know that I should be shouting to the house tops, but I am so filled with awe and wonder that I can hardly speak. I know I don't have enough love or faith or grace or mercy or wisdom, but He does. He has all of those things abundance and He says, "Let's just put it all together."

Thank you Bob, I started thinking about my life. Am I being stingy with what God gave me, am I not giving to God to share. I believe I am holding on to dear life and I am not giving to God. Then if this story did not just hit me between the eyes, Bob goes on further with a challenge.

When I think about it like that, it really amuses me to see somebody running along through life hanging on to their dumb bag with that stale baloney sandwich in it saying, "God's not going to get my sandwich! No, sire, that is mine!" Did you ever see somebody like that-so needy- just about half starved to death yet hanging on for dear life. It's not that God needs your sandwich, the fact is , you need His chicken. You have been invited to something better, you know. You have been invited to share in the very being of God.

Awesome Bob, God is good and He is just waiting for me to figure it out. Okay God, you get my sandwich, cause that chicken does look good. How's your sandwich, would you rather have the chicken?

Love always, Tanya


5 comments:

Kathi said...

I've never thought of it that way before. Wow, God is so good to take our small offering and share His huge abundance with us and put it all together. What a loving God we have. Thank you for stopping by my blog, Tanya. Kathi

Vee said...

That's a great analogy!

Yes, I want fried chicken, a filet mignon would be nice, too.

Thanks for visiting me today! Come back anytime.

Just Be Real said...

Wow, I certainly do remember you. You were one of my first bloggy friends some three years ago. Thank you for your visit and your encouragment dear one. Blessings to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Tanya, for sharing this wonderful story! I just found your blog tonight, and I feel as if God led you to write these words just for me! After relocating about five years ago, I have been asking myself similar questions. God did reveal to me about six months ago that I am right where he wants me, but I don't know why. I am truly all alone here. I have prayed to God to lead and guide me, and your blog entry really spoke to my heart. Blessings...I shall visit your site regularly.

Tanya Ross said...

Anonymous, I am so glad that God used this post to show you His plan. I love those moments when I have a revelation. I remember when my husband and I moved to Red Oak. I felt so alone in this new town. I was so home sick. But I can honestly say that if we had moved to Washington State our lives would be so much different. I am so blessed right here in Red Oak. I will pray for you and I can not wait to hear more about what God is doing in your life.

Kathy, Vee and JBR, I have missed you all. I believe that I have had moments in my life where I can just run away. I am glad to be back and I will be looking forward to reading more about your lives. God bless ya.